A festival of meetings and workshops for businesses, professionals, administrators, academics, students and the general public where themes linked to a sustainable future are explored alongside experts of national (Italian) and international renown.
The main dates are from 10th May to 26th May 2017 but with a pre-event on 18th April which was a fascinating presentation by the British economist Kate Raworth presenting the outline of her recent book, ‘Doughnut Economics’ – subtitled 7 ways to think like a 21st century economist.
The other sessions in the programme are all primarily in Italian. Details are available from this website: nowfestival.it
Festival della Luce
Science as it confronts art and technology. A series of meetings, events, music, and workshops organised by the Fondazione Alessandro Volta.
The festival runs from 28th April until 14th May. Events are free but, apart from the open exhibitions, you will need to subscribe via the website www.festivaldellaluce.it. Some events, such as the exhibition in the Broletto and the concert that forms part of the Lake Como Music Festiva, are included in our calendar. Details of all other events are available from the festival’s website.
Fondazione Alessandro Volta Incontra
Rather than an actual festival, this is a series of meetings on themes where science, art, literature and music may converge that are open to the general public at no cost. They give an insight into the work of the Fondazione Volta and its associated organisation – the Lake Como School of Advanced Studies.
The Spring meetings run from 25th April until 30th May and are as follows:
- 25th April, 18.00 Villa del Grumello – Concert of 16th century musi. Subscribe for free via www.concerto25aprile.eventbrite.it
- 27th April, 21.00 Sala degli Stemmi, Palazzo Cernezzi, Via Vittorio Emanuele, Como – Lecture by philosopher Nuccio Ordine entitled, Eulogy to the Useless. Subscribe for free via www.conferenza27aprile.eventbrite.it
- 23rd May 21.00 Sala degli Stemmi, Palazzo Cernezzi, Via Vittorio Emanuele, Como – lecture by Ugo Moschella, Iniversity of Insubria – A Brief History of Cosmological Thought. Subscribe for free via www.conferenza23maggio.eventbrite.it
- 25th May 21.00 Sala degli Stemmi, Palazzo Cernezzi, Via Vittorio Emanuele, Como – Lecture by Dominique Lambert, University of Namur on Georges Lemaitre, the priest who invented the Big Bang. Subscribe for free via www.conferenza25maggio.eventbrite.it
- 30th May 21,00, Sala degli Stemmi, Palazzo Cernezzi, Via Vittorio Emanuele, Como – lecture by Sabino Matarreses from Padova University entitled What’s in the Sky. Subscribe for free via www.conferenza30maggio.eventbrite.it
Lake Como Film Festival
Lake Como Film Festival is now into its 5th year – with the intention of linking national and international cinema with the glories of the lakeside landscapes.
It runs in 2017 from 24th June to 16th July and is organised in two main parts as follows:
Part 1. 24th June to 3rd July
a) Longscapes – International landscape film competition held at the Università di Sant’Abbondio. Consists of 12 films, conferences and meeting with authors.
b) Cinema in Piazza – 5 films projected in Piazza Grimoldi on 25th, 26th June, 1st and 2nd July and 8 and 9th July. All at 21.30
c) Film and urban structures – 6th July double projection either side of the Monumento ai Caduti at 21.30
Part 2 – 9th to 16th July
a) Landscape in the Visual Arts – 10 films, conferences and meetings with authors in various locations along the Como lakefront.
b) Short film competition from 10th to 16th July involving 7 communes based along Lake Como, namely; Albese con Cassano, Cernobbio, Gravedona, Nesso, Carate Urio, Lezzeno and Zelbio
c) Weekend visits to Lenno and Villa Balbianello, Monte generoso for video trekking and Nesso for a guided tour.
Horticultural show running from Friday 29th September 2017 to Sunday 1st October. This show is held in the grounds of Villa Erba, Cernobbio. transport from Como includes specially commissioned boats that land at the Villa Erba dock.
Information available in English from the website.
This cultural event is now into its 17th edition having been set up in 2001. It is a celebration of books, literature, and culture in it broadest sense. It consists of meetings with writers, philosophers, poets, debates, exhibitions, music, walks, shows and cinema. It is held between 15th and 24th June with most events being held at Villa Olmo in Como but also in Villa del Grumello, Villa Sucota, Villa Bernasconi in Cernobbio and the public library in Brunate.
Refer to the website for info on all the events.